Quinoa Bread, Cornbread Style
Quinoa (no)corn Bread
Prep Time: 10 minutes
Cook Time: 20 minutes
Total Time: 30 minutes
Servings: 8 slices
I’ve been meaning to play with making plant-based whole-food breads for a while, and when Joe said that he’d like cornbread and beans for dinner some time soon, I thought I’d try making a cornbread-style quinoa bread … and upped the challenge by making it sugar-free, too!The sweetener? Roasted sweet potato puree. Yep, just a roasted sweet potato that’s been whipped around in the food processor for a minute. Oh. My. Goodness. The taste and texture of this bread is nothing short of amazing. I never would have thought that quinoa could be a step-in substitute for cornmeal. This is seriously nommable.Print Recipe
- Preheat oven to 425° F.
- Put a well-seasoned 10-12" cast iron skillet in the oven to heat up.
Prepare items that need to sit
- Mix flax meal with water and set aside.
- Mix nondairy milk with vinegar and set aside.
- Add all dry ingredients to a large bowl and whisk to thoroughly incorporate. Tip: Double, triple, or even quadruple this dry mix and store in a cool dry place. You'll always be ready to whip up a batch!
- Make a well in the center of the dry mix.
- In a medium bowl, combine the sweet potato puree, nondairy milk mixture, flax meal mixture and mix well.
- Pour sweet potato mix into dry mix and stir until just moistened.
Calories: 143kcal | Carbohydrates: 23g | Protein: 4g | Fat: 3g | Sodium: 179mg | Potassium: 329mg | Fiber: 3g | Sugar: 2g | Vitamin A: 3240IU | Vitamin C: 5.9mg | Calcium: 177mg | Iron: 1.6mg